Sunday, January 22, 2012

I choose CHOICE

Happy Anniversary, Roe v Wade!  Since I was a little girl, you were one of my earliest inspirations to be a feminist.  Back then though, it was more about I am Woman HEAR ME ROAR for me.... men drool girls rule...  I had no clue how vital you were to me, how one day I would need you

It would not be until I was 35 years old that I would really get what you were all about.   I did not grasp the  reality of your truth until October 1, 2010.  It was a day that I felt the impact of what you did for me.   It was the day I chose to have an abortion. It's a day that I will never apologize for.

I  read a few blog for choice posts before getting on here to post mine (I meant to be proactive and prepare mine ahead of time--- OOPS!), looking for inspiration.  What I learned was this:  damn, there are some intelligent global thinking folks out there that really get the domino effect of the importance of choice.  I however am not one of those smarties so I come on here with my simple thoughts about choice and what I am going to do to help elect a pro-choice candidate in 2012.

What am I going to do? I am going to tell the truth.  And I am going to stop biting my tongue.  I am going to let whoever wants to hear it know that 1 out of 3 is me, what the face of abortion really looks like, and try to humanize it, as opposed to demonizing it, the best I can.  I am going to speak out and challenge those I know and those that know me by letting them know... my face is the face of abortion.  Maybe my truth can change one person's mind and a ripple effect might occur.  I hope.

I just did something important today that I hope helps in the drive to elect a pro choice candidate.  I renewed my membership to NARAL, will continue to write to my state legislators (fu Rick Perry!), pay attention to how the people that represent me are voting and do whatever I can to try to influence a change.  If that's by supporting pro-choice orgs, calling my congressman, I will continue to do it.  VOTE VOTE VOTE people!

Choice is yours to make.  Make a decision about what you believe.  Take a stand.  Get off your ass and speak up.  Apathy is killing us, apathy has us in danger of losing some very important rights that many have taken for granted--- women's reproductive rights are being threatened.  For you, for me, for our kids, our grandchildren... please.... make a choice to protect the right to choose.